Australia has finally realised the importance of helping individuals with eating disorders!
On the 1st of November 2019, Medicare Australia has 64 new medicare item numbers for helping individuals with eating disorders. Individuals that meet the eligible criteria, will be able to part of the Eating Disorder Plan (EDP). This treatment plan will help and save so many people in Australia. The EDP plan will allow up to 20 Medicare-subsidised sessions with a Dietitian.
If you are worried that you or someone close you know is experiencing an eating disorder, it is crucial to make an appointment with a medical practitioner. In this case, your medical practitioner could be a General Practise Doctor, Psychiatrist or Paediatrician.
Raymond Setiadi, Founder and Accredited Practising Dietitian of Vegan Palette Nutrition welcomes this significant change and welcomes any existing or new clients under the new EDP. Raymond has had extensive experience helping his clients as a past Personal Trainer and as a Dietitian. He helps his clients realise that change is possible, recovery is possible, and change is possible, he helps clients by empowering them to live their life without an eating disorder. He is very empathetic, non-judgemental, caring, listens, and offers nutritional support to help direct the clients path to a healthy eating lifestyle.
In summary, the benefits for you are below:
1. claim Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS) up to a maximum of 20 Dietetic services in a 12 month period (inclusive of any consultations provided by the Chronic Disease Management Plan (CDMP) provided in the same 12 month period)
2. Able to use telehealth sessions for dietetic sessions if the practitioner’s service location is outside of 15km of the patient’s place of residence.
3. If you are not eligible to access the Eating Disorder Plan, you may be able to be part of the Better Access to Mental Health Scheme or the Chronic Disease Management Plan.
How to find out if you are eligible for an Eating Disorder Plan?
1. Through your Doctor (Item 90250-90253)
2. Your Psychiatrist (Item PSY1)
3. Your Paediatrician (item PAED1)
Who can access this plan?
1. an individual who has a clinical diagnosis of anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, binge eating disorder or other eating disorders.
For more information visit your local medical professional to find out more.
The Dietitian Item codes for the Eating Disorder Plan are item number 82350 and 82351.
Let’s overcome eating disorder together and enjoy every moment, every meal of life!